Architecting for Performance
review focuses attention on high?valued/high risk functional requirements. Your project's risk analysis will provide you with the initial guidance in choosing which functional requirements you should attack first. The project risks analysis, however, can be found lacking in detail for the purpose of the architecture validation/review. It is then good practice to do a separate risk analysis to fill in the gaps.
The following are some common focus areas:
Performance headroom is major area of concern
OA&M (Operations, Administration and Maintenance)
- Peak performance requirements
- Startup bursts: All users login at the same time a day?
- Flow?Control: Functionality A creates B, C can only start if B is there etc..
- Load growth: Amount of users, usage of the system etc.
- System resources
- Automated delivery
- Remote detection of process failure
- Automatic re-establishment of connections
- Loss of data
- Error logging
- Stored Procedures
- Data Sizing
- Index Strategy
- Server usage
- Space requirements
- Processing requirements
- System partition
- Print requirements
- Batch processing
- Type of connections
- Network volume
- Type of data
- Special topologies
Other interesting reading∞